About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Monday, September 8, 2008

Life Changing Experience

Have you ever had a life changing experience. Have you ever felt like your life was perfect? On June 21st, 2001, I felt as if I were living the perfect life. At least for a few moments that morning but unknown to me that day, my life was about to change forever. Just to take you back a few months before that day to show you why I felt I had the perfect life. I had gone thru a divorce a few years earlier and never thought I would meet anyone I could "trust" again, let alone fall in love with. Watch out when you're not looking girls! On November 21st, 2000 I met my best friend, Steve. Steve and I talked for hours the first night we met and I felt like I had know him forever. When I left after dinner that night, I knew in my heart I was going to marry him. Steve didn't know it, but he soon would! I was also a single mom raising my 6 year old daughter. Things were going so well, I didn't think life could be any more perfect. I had no idea at that time what I was about to face on June 21, 2001. On that morning, I woke up to find myself extemely bloated. I had been off work that entire week due to what doctors said was a bad "asthma" attack. That morning, however, things felt different. My face was puffy, I was extremely tired and I could not walk across my parents living room floor without needing to sit down and rest. I couldn't fit into my own clothes that morning as I was extremely bloated. I knew something wasn't right so I had my Dad take me to the emergency room. In the emergency room, I was greeted by a physician that I had worked for at one time. I'll never forget his words that day. He took one look at me and said, "Has anyone ever checked your heart?" I thought he was kidding. I mean, come on, I had been to doctors several times over the past 2 years with complaints of being tired and short of breath. Doctors told me I was doing too much and advised me to slow down. They also said I had asthma. I just "assumed" they knew what they were talking about and that they had covered all possible avenues. Sadly, I was mistaken. I had no idea at that time that fatigue and shortness of breath were symptoms of heart problems. If I had, I would have insisted they do a thorough check of my heart. That is what I advise anyone to do today! I told the ER doctor no one had ever checked my heart and that I was pretty sure I was just having a bad asthma attack. He knew better. After a few quick tests, he came in to my room with a look that said it all. I knew the news was not going to be good. Since I work in the medical field, I know medical terminology and once he told me the diagnosis, I was in shock. I thought he had to have gotten my results mixed up with another patient in the ER. This couldn't be me, could it? Up to this point, I had done everything right. I ate right, I exercised, I was at my best weight ever. I was fit and I was young. I learned very quickly that heart disease does not discriminate! The ER doctor told me I had congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. My heart funtion was 5% at the time of my diagnosis and I was told I needed a heart transplant. The ER doctor asked me which cardiologist I would like to use and I didn't even know the name of one! I had never had to use a cardiologist. My perfect world quickly changed in just a few short minutes that morning. I felt as if I had stepped onto a roller coaster. I was being tossed from side to side and felt a rush in my face that made it difficult to breath. I never liked roller coasters! I remember calling Steve at work that morning from the ER and telling him I needed a heart transplant. Needless to say, he was in shock too. We had only been dating for 7 months so I realized at that point that he may not stick around for this. This was not the life neither of us had signed on for! I knew I needed him, but didn't know what he would do. My family was told, I could die at any moment and I was given just days to live.

To be continued......

No comments: