About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Friday, October 3, 2008

Foods that actually help lower your cholesterol

I heard this on my local news this evening and wanted to post it before I forget! Anytime I hear news stories that are related to heart disease and helping prevent it, I get excited. I you have high cholesterol and are looking for foods that help lower you cholesterol, here are some they mentioned this evening. I know olive oil works because I use it all the time and it actually helped bring up my good cholesterol. I could never get that number to come up until I started using olive oil. It also lowered my bad cholesterol a great deal too. My last test, I had a total cholesterol of 138 and my good cholesterol was high, which is very good. That number you want to be high! ok...here's a list of foods that may help you.

Orange juice and citrus fruits
Stell cut oats, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, pecans and peanuts. A handful a day is all you need!

Olive oil
Salmon
Beans
Medical Margerine

and.....believe it or not.....here's the best one.....a little bit of dark chocolate! Notice the key words, a little bit. Don't eat but a square of dark chocolate a day. It also helps keep your blood flowing and helps prevent bood clots. Everything in moderation!

Another tip, olive oil has great benefits but it does have the calories so use it in moderation too.

No comments: