About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Laughter really is the best medicine!

Ok....I have to post a funny that made me laught until I cried this past weekend. I am in a production at my local church called "Kidstuf". This is a fast paced, high energy production with skits, singing, etc. that is geared towards kids and parents. Adults get as much out of it as the kids and love it just as much! Anyway, during one segment of the production our incredible host, Tracy Starr, did a game called "These aren't the Lyrics." She called up 3 "willing" participants....I say willing very loosely here! They were suppposed to sing 3 different songs and then fill in the missing lyrics. Well, one song was "Chariots of Fire". You might be stratching your head on that one.....the next song was "Eye of the Tiger", and the 3rd song, well, I'll just wait on that one! So, the "volunteers" were not cooperating so Tracy yells, "stop the music!" I don't think she has ever done that before but it was hilarious! She then calls my husband to the stage and restarts the music and he sings, "I AM WOMAN!" We were all laughing so hard backstage we were crying! He was such a good sport and it gave us all a good laugh that morning which made me want to talk about laughter and how good it actually is for you.

Did you know laughter really is good for your heart? Laughter actually increases blood flow in the body. In fact, laughter actually boosts blood flow about the same amount as light excercise or drugs that lower cholesterol. Laughter on a regular basis will undo some of the excess stress we face in our everyday lives. Laughter increases circulation and improves the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to tissues throughout the body. Laughter helps lower blood pressure. Laughter actually helps strengthen the heart muscle so it's particularly good for those that can't exercise on a regular basis. Laughter aids the immune system and is good for the lungs because it helps empty the lungs of air. Laughter helps reduce stress hormones in the body. Laughter won't cost you a thing either.....and that's good news in today's economy! I love to laugh and for the most part, you will see me laughing at things others don't even find that funny! A good belly laugh does wonders for your health and your heart so laugh to your heart's content! Just do it!

So, thanks Tracy for the good laugh you gave us on on Sunday! It was good for us all! Anytime you want to use Steve as a "guinea pig", I'm all for it if it gives us a good laugh. I'll just tell him it's part of my therapy! After all, he is strong.....he is invincible!

No comments: