About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Be Heart Smart!

Knowledge is dangerous unless it goes through the heart. (celtic saying)


Ok, since just in the last 2 months 8 people I know have been diagnosed with some type of heart problem I thought I would post some warning signs. In those 8 people, there was 1 death from heart disease and 1 newborn baby that had open heart surgery less than a week after it's birth. Some of these could have prevented their heart problems, some could not. I want to arm you with knowledge that you will take to heart so today, I'm posting some warning signs and symptoms. Keep in mind, for women the signs can be different or not quite as intense as in a man but the damage is the same left untreated.

Heart Attack Warning signs:

Some heart attacks are sudden and intense, such as the "movie heart attack," during which someone dramatically gasps, clutches her heart and drops to the ground. No one has any doubts about what's happening. But most heart attacks start slowly, with mild pain or discomfort. Often the people affected aren't sure what's wrong and wait too long before getting help. Here are some of the signs that can mean a heart attack is happening. (taken from material from the American Heart Assoc)

**Chest discomfort. Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that last more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.

**Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. Symptoms can include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.

**Shortness of breath. This feeling often comes along with chest discomfort, but it can occur before the chest discomfort.

**Other signs: This may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadness.

If you or someone you are with has chest discomfort, especially with one or more of the other signs, don't wait longer than 5 minutes before calling for help. Call 9-1-1!

Physical inactivity is one of the biggest risk factors for heart disease. It's best to exercise at least 30 minutes every day! Heredity plays a big factor also so know you family history. If you smoke, quit! Also, try and maintain a health weight (preaching to the choir here!). Some things you can't change, but some things you can.

Remember, heart disease doesn't care what you wear! It's the #1 killer of women. Go to the link at the top of the post to learn more. Sign up for the Go Red for Women newsletter and get your free red dress pin. The national symbol for women and heart disease awareness.

Men, you're not off the hook......heart disease remains your number 1 killer also, it just it's not that well known among women!

No comments: