About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Low Sodium Beef Stew Recipe

As I said earlier, following a strict sodium restricted diet when you have heart failure is so important. This one is yummy and you won't even miss the sodium. In fact, members of my own family love this one and they don't add any salt when they eat it. Since it's close to fall and we've already had some chilly weather, I'm in the mood for soups and stews! Enjoy. Remember, your taste buds really do adjust if you give it a good try. It takes about a month and then you really do not miss salt at all anymore.

Old Fashioned Beef Stew

1 lb lean beef chuck, trimmed & cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
2 cups sliced mushrooms (optional)
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium tomato paste (I use 1 small can!) ( Hunts also has a no salt added tomato paste on the market)
2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth (I use wylers sodium free instant bouillon powder to make my beef broth) (There are some no salt added beef broth in cans also. check out www.healthyheartmarket.com or www.saltwatcher.com or even check in you local grocery. Many of them do carry it now.)
4 cups sliced carrots
2 medium russet potatoes, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)…..I use more and keep them chunkier.
1 cup 1-inch green beans (fresh or no salt added)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley

I also add more vegetables than recipe calls for. I add corn and some mixed vegetables also (no salt added). Add to suit your own taste.

1. Coat beef with flour, shaking off excess. In a large non stick pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; sauté until browned, about 6 minutes. Place on a plate.

2. Add onions and mushrooms to pot; saute for 6 minutes. Add garlic; sauté, stirring for 1 minute. Pour off fat. Return beef to pot; stir in tomato paste, then broth. Add enough water to just cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer until beef is tender, about 1 ¼ hours. Skim off any foam.

3. Add carrots, potatoes and other vegetables. Cover partially, simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

4. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water; stir into stew. Increase heat and boil uncovered for 1 minute. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

Cooking tips

Browning beef before simmering it in a stew produces juicy, extra-flavorful meat. Pat the meat dry with paper towels before adding it to the hot pan.

When sautéing onion and garlic, sauté the onion first. Onion needs a longer cooking time, and garlic may burn if cooked for too long at too high a heat.

No comments: