About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wedding vows

Ok...since I talked about our wedding in the previous post, I wanted to share with you the vows I wrote to Steve. This is what I wrote and spoke to him that day:

Today is a celebration of life and love. We also give praise to God today for all he has given to us. We are so blessed to be able to share this day with family and friends. God truly has blessed us today and in the days before and I am so thankful.

I want to start out by giving you a definition of Love. Love is patient, Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. These are the things your love gives me. I have protection, I have hope, and I have trust in you. I have seen how your love perseveres. Your love did not fail me when our love was put to the test exactly one year ago today. It was June 21st, 2001 that I was admitted into the hospital with heart failure. When we met on November 21st, 2000, just 7 months earlier, there was no way for us to know what was in store for us, but God knew. When he brought us together he knew what I was going to go through. He knew exactly what I needed and when I needed it. He is always on time.....never too early, never too late, but always right on time. He will always supply our needs. I believe God uses people and situations to help us make it through, to bring us healing and to show us just how much he truly does love us as if dying on the cross for us wasn't enough. That gift of salvation is all any of us ever truly needed but God gives us so much more. God has used you to help heal my heart and to bring me a love I needed. A love that doesn't run away when things get tough. A love that trusts in God for everything. God also made it possible for me to love you in the way that you need to be loved, for love is of God. God is love. Love is so powerful and I knew how much you loved me when you looked at me in the hospital with tears in your eyes and told me that you would give me your heart if the doctors would let you. What you didn't know is that you already had. You didn't walk away. You stuck with me and you helped me more than you will ever know. You pushed me when I needed it, supported me when I needed it, cried with me when I needed to cry but most of all you loved me and you kept your faith and trust in God. God used a bad situation to his good. He used me to talk to people about him that I otherwise would not have met. He continues to use my situation to open doors to tell others about his love. He showered me with his peace and he showed me all his promises are still true today. One year ago today, God gave me the security in you that I needed. You are truly my best friend. I wouldn't change the past for anything. I don't know what God has in store for us in the future but I know with trust in God, we can weather any storm. And we know that all thing work together for good to them that Love God, to them who are called according to his purpose. I pray God uses us for his glory and grants us many years together. I can tell you today that I'll love you more with each new day and I'll always be thankful for this gift that God has given me. I love you....

I believe because of my health situation, Steve and I grew closer and stronger than we would have if I had not been diagnosed with heart failure. I treasure my gift.

I wanted to also post the letter I wrote to Steve's mother. She gave it to Steve some time afterward. I can't find it! If I find it, I'll post it. I believe if you have someone that treats you the way Steve treats me, there are parents that need to thanked!

No comments: