About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Low sodium food finds!

Ok, I'm going to post a few of the things that I have found on the market that fit into a sodium restricted. You really have to take your time in the grocery and real lots of labels. If anyone out that knows of some, please feel free to respond and let me know about them. I'm sure there are things I have not run across yet.

For some general information, be careful when you buy pork or chicken. Most brands have a salt solution added to them. Tyson adds sodium to their chicken so I never buy Tyson. A chicken breast or a pork chop with added salt solution can have up to as much as 600-800 mg of sodium in them. Be very careful! Purdue brand adds no sodium to their fresh chicken but watch out......they have one that is frozen that they have added sodium to and it's very high in sodium. Also, look for Amish chicken in your grocery. They add nothing to it so the only sodium that is there is what is natural in the chicken. Look for the words, minimally processed when purchasing pork or chicken. I have even found some free range chicken that has the added sodium so read the labels very carefully. I have to drive about an hour in order to buy pork that doesn't have the sodium added to it but my local grocery does carry chicken without the sodium added. They do not add sodium to beef products but get the 96/4 ground beef. It's much healthier for your heart!

Watch out for pork or chicken or anything that says "natural". This does NOT mean they are low sodium and better for you. Salt is a natural perservative and most products that say "natural" are very high in sodium.

Here are some things I have found in my search:

Chicken of the sea has a very low sodium tuna. The words are very small on the can so you really have to search for it.

Hunts and Heinz makes a no salt added ketchup. They also have a no salt added tomato paste on the market.

Frog Ranch Salsa is very low in sodium.

Wing Time has a very low sodium wing sauce and purdue carries chicken wings without added sodium. These wings are delicious!

There is a low sodium barbecue sauce that I find a Kroger Marketplace. It's Lum Taylor and it's very good. We make pulled pork and chicken with this all the time. If you can't find it in the grocery, check out www.healthyheartmarket.com. They carry it. I used to order lots of things from there but now my grocery is carrying most of the same things they carry.

Campbells has a very low sodium soup. They have chicken noodle that is 140 mg of sodium in the entire can. It's bland but it's good if you add no salt added spike. Make sure you get the no salt added version. If your grocery doesn't carry it ask them to start. Campbells also has a very low sodium cream of mushroom soup that is great to make casseroles with. They carry a very low sodium chicken broth soup also. They used to have a very low sodium tomato and beef vegetable soup but took them both off the market to make room for other soups that have sea salt.

Be aware of the sea salt.....these are touted as lower sodium soups but they are not! Sea salt is more highly concentrated and you can have much less of it than regular salt. My doctors office was very upset when they first saw the commercials about the new soups with sea salt. If you have CHF, stay away from the sea salt!

Mrs. Dash has some excellent spices. The ones I love are table blend, original blend, hamburger spice and lemon pepper. Mrs. Dash also has several marinades that are excellent too.

Mikesell has a no salt added potato chip. I have also seen a no salt added barbecue chip which is excellent. If you can't find in your grocery, www.healthyheartmarket.com carries it and I believe www.salthwatcher.com also carries them.

Look for no salt added nacho chips. My store does carry them. They are bland by themselves but with the Frog Ranch salsa, they are yummy!

Kroger carries a no salt added wheat bread. If you store doesn't, ask them to start!

You can aso find no salt added canned vegetables. At least, corn and green beans. You can find just about any vegetable in the frozen foods that don't have added sodium. Be careful though as there are those that do add sodium to frozen vegetables. Always check the label.

There are low sodium beef broths and low sodium chicken broths on the market now that are excellent. Make sure to check the labels on these because there are some that are extremely high in sodium.

Ok...I love french fries but it is very hard to find those in the frozen food section that are not high in sodium. Meijer carries their store brand that is very low in sodium. Ore Ida french fries are high in sodium so I would avoid those. If you have a Gordon Food service, they have a brand that is very low sodium. You just have to check the labels.

There are some spaghetti sauces out there that are low in sodium but they are very hard to find. I've had to order mine in the past from speciality markets but now have found one that is low. It's Disalvos' but you may not be able to find it as I believe it is just a local product to the Cincinnati/Dayton area. It's from a local resturant.

Kroger carries a foccica pizza crust that is very low in sodium but watch the amount of cheese you use. I use my low sodium spaghetti sauce as the pizza sauce.

Ritz carries a low sodium cracker that you will never miss the salt on.

www.heartwisefoods.com carries some real good chili mixes. They also carry a no salt added chili bean.

Simply Jif is a low sodium/low sugar peanut butter. I love this with my chili. By the way, my husband thinks it's weird to eat peanut butter sandwiches with your chili. Give it a try.....it is yummy. Dip it in the chili and the peanut butter melts.....oh....I can taste it now. YUMMY! I think my husband is weird.....those Cincinnati folks just don't know how to eat!

I know there are more things and I'll post them as I think of them. Right now, that's what I can remember off the top of my head.


I do supply low sodium food baskets to anyone that needs to start a sodium restricted diet. Just reply and let me know and I'll get one out to you. I want to make the search easier for others because it was overwhelming to me at first.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
You make up low sodium gift baskets? Please tell me more.
I love your site. Man you have put alot of time into this!
I am so impressed!
Girlfriend, how do you have time to work!!! :-)
Julie

Anonymous said...

HI Kim,
Found your info while researching NSA and LS items for my husband (and family). I shop at Kroger and Meijers so this info is very helpful. My husband has found no salt peanuts at Walmart that he likes and I noticed candy like Tootsie Pops and Jolly Ranchers are ok. We also shop at Costco so I will check there for stuff. Thanks for the info.
Kaye