About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Do you know your answers?

Do you know the answer to these questions? If not, you need to schedule a heart check up and learn. Heart disease is largely preventable but only if you are armed with information and do something about what you know. Here are 10 questions every woman should know the answers to. ok....all you men out there, all but number 3 apply to you!

1. What are my risk factors for heart disease?

2. Am I at risk for stroke?

3. What should I know about the effects of menopause on my health?

4. Do I need to lose or gain weight for my health?

5. What is a healthy eating plan for me?

6. What kind of physical activity is right for me?

7. What is my blood pressure? Is that healthy for someone my age?

8. What are my blood cholesterol levels? Are those healthy levels for someone my age?

9. What is my blood gluose level? Is that a healthy level for someone my age?

10. Based on my history and risk factors, what can I do to lower my risk of heart disease and stroke?


Ok.....today, do something good for your heart!

Take a moment

Sit quietly and feel your own heart beating.

Appreciate that one heart, that it is beating and pumping your life blood through you.

Think of your love for your family, your friends.

Make a simple promise to do something good for your heart today.

Eat well.

Exercise more.

Kiss a loved one.

Laugh a little more.

Learn how to keep your heart healthy.

Take a moment to love your heart.

**Taken from the Love Your Heart cookbook from the American Heart Association's Go Red for women movement. Ok, now here's my favorite motto from the Nike ads......
JUST DO IT!

No comments: