About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Symptoms of Heart Failure

Ok....today I'm also posting the symptoms of heart failure since many of these can be different than the symptoms of a heart attack. If you have any of these symptoms, please don't wait........Go to the doctor! I had symptoms for 2 years and didn't realize they were symptoms that something was wrong with my heart. I was actually misdiagnosed with asthma. That's why it's important to know these symptoms can be related to a heart condition so you can push for testing to be done on your heart. I know I would have if I had known the symptoms. You really have to be your own advocate and push for answers and tests sometimes. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself until you get answers! Here are the symptoms:

**Shortness of breath. This can occur with exercise or rest or when lying flat in the bed!

**Fluid backs up in the lungs causing shortness of breath and often a hacking cough.

**Dizziness-less blood to the brain causes dizziness.

**Tiredness-less blood to the major organs causes fatigue.

**Rapid or irregular heart beats-The heart beats faster to try and pump enough blood throughout the body.

**Swelling in ankles, legs and abdomen. Weight gain-less blood to the kidneys causes the kidneys to retain water.

**nausea, palpitations, chest pain, waking suddenly feeling unable to breathe, changes in sleep patterns

You may also have a loss of appetite.

My symptoms were being extremely tired, sudden weight gain, waking in the night feeling unable to catch my breath, and nausea. If you experience any of these symptoms, go to your doctor right away.

I look back on the days before my initial diagnosis and remember my mom saying she didn't think I had asthma. She kept telling me it was my heart. I wish I had listened to my mom but I thought the doctors had to know what they were talking about. The sad thing is, they never checked my heart. They thought I was too young for heart disease. NEVER let a doctor tell you that you are too young for heart disease. It does NOT discriminate! I've learned to always listen to my mom too!


In the future, I'll also be posting information about a number we all should know: ejection fraction (EF) and information about drugs used to treat heart failure.

No comments: