About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Nutrition in the Fast Lane!

I thought I would give you some information about sodium content in some fast food menu items. This will help you to make wise choices when you have to eat out. You can find information for some places online so it doesn't hurt to check this out before going out to eat. Remember on menu items that are cooked to order, tell the waiter to "hold the salt!" I even carry my own low sodium bread and ketchup when I go out so I can swap the bun for my bread and bring down the total sodium quite a bit. Remember it's best to keep each meal at around 500-600mg sodium. I'll post some sodium content for one fast food place just to give you an idea of how hard it is to stay within your limit while eating out. More information can be found at www.fastfoodfacts.com

Arbys:

Biscuit with margerine: 780 mg sodium
Croissant (plain): 300 mg sodium
French toastix (6 piece order): 440 mg sodium
Biscuit with ham: 830 mg sodium
egg portion: 70 mg sodium

Regular roast beef: 950 mg sodium
Giant roast beef: 1440 mg sodium
Jr roast beef: 740 mg sodium
Beef N Cheddar: 1240 mg sodium
Arby's melt with cheddar: 890 mg sodium
Arby-Q: 1530 mg sodium
Chicken breast fillet: 1160 mg sodium
Grilled chicken deluxe: 1050 mg sodium
Roast chicken club: 1440 mg sodium
Hot ham n cheese: 1450 mg sodium
French dip sub: 1680 mg sodium
Roast beef sub: 2230 mg sodium
Turkey sub: 2170 mg sodium
Caesar Salad: 170 mg sodium
Grilled chicken Caesar salad: 920 mg sodium
Chicken finger salad: 1300 mg sodium
Remember salad dressings are hidden sources of sodium!

Here are sodium contest for just 1 packet of salad dressing:

bbq vinaigrette: 660 mg sodium
Bleu cheese: 580 mg sodium
Buttermilk Ranch: 490 mg sodium
Lt btrmlk ranch: 750 mg sodium
Caeser: 470 mg sodium
Honey French: 410 mg sodium
Italian: 1030 mg sodium
1000 Island: 480 mg sodium


Here are some of the sauces< These are also 1 packet:

Arbys sauce: 180 mg sodium
BBQ sauce: 350 mg sodium
Bronco Berry Sauce: 35 mg sodium
Horsey sauce: 150 mg sodium
marinara sauce 260 mg sodium
Tangy SW sauce: 290 mg sodium

Side items:

Homestyle fries (4 oz order): 570 mg sodium Arby's does not salt
Curly Fries: 770 mg sodium
Curly cheddar fries: 1290 mg sodium
Potato cakes: 490 mg sodium
Jalapeno bites: 670 mg sodium
Mozzarella sticks: 1330 mg sodium
Onion petals: 300 mg sodium


As you can see, it's very hard to stay within you sodium limit for a meal while dining out. You can easily go over your limiti for the entire day eating one meal at Arby's! Tomorrow, I'll post some places that have menu items that are within the limit for a day. It's a challenge, but there are some! I am amazed at the sodium content at many places. It's not healthy for anyone, not just for those of us with heart failure. It's something we all need to look at and take control of.

No comments: