About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Monday, October 20, 2008

Apple Streusel Cupcakes

I love apples in the fall so thought I would post a recipe for a cupcake that is pretty low sodium. Each cupcake has about 144 mg of sodium

Streusel Topping:

1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal (quick-cooking or regular)
2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons canola or corn oil
1 1/2 teapsoons water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Cupcakes

1 9-ounce box single-layer yellow cake mix
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
Whites of 2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 medium apple, such as jonathan or McIntosh, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes (about 3/4 cup)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pa with paper muffin cups or lightly spray the pan with vegetable oil spray.

In a small bowl, stir together the streusel topping ingredients until crumbly.

In a medium mixing bown, beat the cake mix, applesauce, egg whites, and cinnamon with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in the apples. Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full with batter. Sprinkle the topping over the batter.

Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a cooling rack. Enjoy!

No comments: