About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Day at the Spa and some alarming statistics

ok....I have NEVER been to a spa before so today was an absolute treat for me. The Mandarine Hair, Foot & Body spa sponsored a Go Red for Women Girlfriends event for heart disease survivors and anyone wanting to learn about heart disease. I took my daughter Jocelyn with me and we both had a bit of pampering. After all....us women take care of everyone else in our lives without ever really taking the time for ourselves. Some pampering from time to time is needed! So, Jocelyn and I had our make up done at the spa and Jocelyn had her nails done, in red, of course! We had some yummy chocolate covered strawberries and a few other little treats. I am not one to wear makeup so this was a real treat for me. So, after our day at the spa, we had a pastor appreciation dinner at church. Steve had to drive seperately since Jocelyn and I came straight from the spa. So, Steve looks at me an says.....you have a lot more makeup on than you usually wear. I looked at him and said, any makeup they put on me is more than I ever wear. He knows I don't wear any and it's because he doesn't like it that I don't! Men! Oh well! Jocelyn and I had a good time and it was fun just getting to spend some "alone" time with Jocelyn. She's growing up so fast and I cherish those times spent with her chatting about what's going on in her life. It seems like just yesterday she was playing dress up and messing in my make up and now she's 14 and is wearing makeup. It was a nice event for the Madarine to put on. Cammy Dierking from channel 12 news was there. I love her on the news but I didn't want to bother her so didn't go up and introduce myself. Sometimes I just think they need to have their "spa" time too without being bombarded with strangers wanting to have pictures made with them or whatever else. That has to feel so strange to them. Ok...enough about the spa time. Now to some alarming statistics about heart disease that were shared with us this evening.

**1 in 5 women have some form of cardiovascular disease
**Since 1984, the number of cardiovascular deaths for females has exceeded those for males. The difference in deaths now is more than 58,200 per year.
**Since 1998 mortality for cardiovascular disease was 503,927 for females compared with 445,692 for males.
**In the US, cardiovascular disease claimse the lives of 504,000 annually: all forms of cancer 259,000. Breast cancer 41,700 per year, lung cancer 64,500 yet many women still believe breast cancer is their greatest threat.
**This equals one death per minute for women.

**42% of women who have heart attacks die within a year compared with 24% of men.
**In 63% of women who died suddenly of coronary heart disease, there were no previous symptom.

**Reasons wome have worse outcomes after heart attack
Women don't recgnize the symptoms of a heart attack and arrive too late at the hospital, causing more heart damage, death or heart failure.

Medical professionals don't recognize the symptoms of a heart attack in women and take too long to make the diagnosis.


Heart disease symptoms in men (typical symptoms):
**Lightheadedness, fainting, sweating, nausea, or shortness of breath
**Severe pain, heavy pressure, fullness, or a squeezing sensation of the chest
**chest discomfort
**Pain that spreads to the shoulders, neck, or down the arm (usually the left arm)

Heart disease symptoms in women (atypical symptoms):
**Fatigue
**Chest pain or discomfort can appear anywhere in the chest, abdomen, or below the rib cage.
**Heart palpitations, or a "fluttering" heart beat
**Chest pain/discomfort develops during activity (walking, exercise) but subsides when the activity stops
**Pain may appear during the night or in the morning and then subside.
**Shortness of breath, breathlessness
**Nausea, indigestion, gas (sometimes after eating)

The most important thing to focus on is a symptom (no matter what, where, or how minor) that occurs with activity or stress and goes away with rest. A symptom of this type should be checked out immediately to avoid a heart attack, heart damage, or death.

I look back over years before I was finally diagnosed with heart failure and can remember times when I felt my heart "flutter" and as a child I was usually more fatigued that other kids my age. I would have to take naps, even as a young adult. I never had pain but I realize now these were symtpoms of my heart that if I had known were serious, could have saved my heart from the severe damage it has now. Please, take these symptoms seriously. If you are not getting answers from your doctor, seek a second opinion. Make sure you get the answers you need. I had severe fatigue and nauseaness days before my trip to the ER when I was finally properly diagnosed. By that time, the damage had already been done. Please don't allow this to happen to you. Be aware of the symptoms of heart disease and seek attention early. It could save your life, or the life or your mother, aunt, daughter or friend.

No comments: