About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Friday, October 3, 2008

Watch the salt in pickles!

One of the things I probably missed the most when I had to go on this sodium restricted diet was dill pickles. I absolutely love dill pickles and would even drink the pickle juice from the jar when the pickles were all gone! When I would eat a cheeseburger, I would load it with about 20 pickles! Oh, that was so yummy! As you know, dill pickles are loaded with sodium so after my diagnosis I had to cut out pickles all together. You can actually order a no salt pickle from www.healthyheartmarket.com and they are pretty good. They do have a different taste buy yummy none the less! I thought I would also post a recipe for a pickle that is easy to make at home.

Easy Dill Pickles

4 pickling, or kirby, cucumbers, unpeeled (about 1 pound)
1 cup water
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dill seeds
1 tablespoon whole pickling spices
1 tablespoon sugar
2 medium garlic cloves
4 to 5 sprigs fresh dillweed (optional)

With a knife or crinkle cutter, cut the cucumbers crosswise into 1/4 inch slices. You should have about 4 cups. Line a colander with 2 or 3 paper towels. Put the cucumbers in the colander, cover with a paper towel, and set a plate no top to slightly weigh the cucumber down (this will help remove any excess moisture). Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.

In a large saucepan, bring the remaining ingredients to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the cucumbers. Cook for 3 minutes, or until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let cool for 15 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container large enough to hold the cucumbers and the liquid (a clean large pickle jar works well) and refrigerate for a least 4 hours before serving. The pickles will keep in the refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

Enjoy! Remember, store bought dill pickles are loaded with sodium. It's best to not eat these at all on a sodium restricted diet!

No comments: