About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Thursday, October 2, 2008

The effects of Caffeine on the heart

As you know, if you have CHF, caffeine is something to be avoided. I have been told by my doctor to even stay away from de-caffeinated coffee and caffeine free diet coke, etc because they still contain a small amount of caffeine. Now, the hardest thing for me to give up was the chocolate! I couldn't believe it when the doctor told me I could no longer eat chocolate. How could they do that to a woman?! It's funny, when I was in the hospital the first time, they gave me chocolate cake for desert almost every night! I did notice I sure started sleeping better when I gave up caffeine in my sodas. I now drink diet sierra mist or diet sprite....only the clear sodas. I don't really miss the chocolate now either. The cravings go away after so long without something and you really do get used to it. The one thing that concerns me are the energy drinks out on the market today. Drinks like red bull, etc are loaded with caffeine and just are not good for anyone to drink. I heard on the news that 1 energy drink contains the same amount of caffeine that you would get if you were to drink 14 coke soft drinks at once. Do you drink them or allow your children to drink them? Caffeine in moderation is the key. Drink one of them and moderation goes right out the window! Here are some of the effects caffeine has on the body. Information below from the Mayo Clinic.

Many energy drinks are loaded with caffeine, sugar and herbal stimulants that can make you alert, but can also make your heart beat markedly faster, putting you at risk of health problems.

Caffeine, the main ingredient in energy drinks, isn't directly toxic to the heart. But if you have almost any type of underlying heart disease, even a small amount of caffeine can stimulate the heart and cause problems. Caffeine can increase your blood pressure, and sometimes impair blood flow to your heart. It may trigger abnormal heart rhythms, which can be life-threatening in people at high risk.

One problem with energy drinks is that they have become popular as mixers for alcoholic beverages, often in an effort to counteract drowsiness so that you can drink more alcohol. The combination of large amounts of caffeine and alcohol is especially dangerous, since alcohol by itself is known to trigger fast heart rhythms. To avoid this serious health risk — even if you don't have heart disease — you shouldn't combine alcohol with energy drinks.

Another problem is that energy drinks are often consumed quickly, sometimes before exercise. The high amounts of caffeine and sugar can lead to a variety of symptoms, including irritability, nervousness and nausea, sometimes severe enough to require hospitalization.

For athletic activity, it's healthier to drink noncaffeinated, low-sugar beverages to prevent dehydration. If you decide to consume an energy drink, read the label and research how much caffeine it contains. If you have heart disease, be cautious about energy drinks and talk to your doctor for individual recommendations.


General information about the effects of caffeine on the body......(not energey drinks, but just regular caffeine) Too much caffein can affect your health. Remember, everything in moderation! More than 500-600 mg a day or 4-7 cups of coffee a day can cause:

Restlessness
Anxiety
Irritability
Muscle Tremors
Sleeplessness
Headaches
Nause, diarrha or other gastrointestional symptoms
Abnormal Heart Rhythms

Caffeine can be habit-forming, so any attempts to stop or lessen the amount you normally consume can be challenging. An abrupt decrease in caffeine can cause withdrawal symptoms, such as headaches, fatigue, irritability and nervousness. These symptoms usually resolve after several days.

To adopt new caffeine habits, try these tips:

Know how much caffeine is in the foods and beverages you consume. You may be consuming more than you think.

Gradually reduce the amount of caffeine you consume. For example, drink one less can of soda or drink a smaller cup of coffee each day. This will help your body get used to the lower levels of caffeine and thereby lessen the withdrawal effects.

Replace caffeinated coffee, tea and soda with their decaffeinated counterparts. Most decaffeinated beverages look and taste the same.

When preparing tea, brew for less time. This cuts down on its caffeine content. Or choose herbal teas, which don't contain this stimulant.

Check the caffeine content in over-the-counter medications that you take. Pain relief or headache medications, such as Excedrin or Anacin, can contain from 65 mg to 130 mg of caffeine in one dose. Switch to caffeine-free versions, if possible.

Do something good for yourself today! LOVE YOUR HEART!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.