About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Another Recipe!

Ok...after a long busy weekend away with family, I thought I'd post another low sodium recipe. I spent this weekend in Cincinnati with my mother-in-law, whom I just don't get to see often enough. We attended a 80th birthday party for my husband's Uncle, Hal. Boy....I sure hope I make it to 80! The party was nice and it was nice to get to see some of my husband's side of the family. We've been married 7 years and this is only the 2nd time I have seen most of his cousins. We stayed at my mother-in-laws Saturday night and went to visit old friends we have in Cincinnati that we used to attend church with. We don't get to see them near enough either! We had hoped to see our dear friend, Bill Wegman and his family but he was off camping. The NERVE of him! So, we'll just have to make another trip down at some other time. Jocelyn, my daughter stayed with my sister-in-laws, Teresa and Connie. They are animal lovers and have several cats and a couple dogs. Jocelyn is a cat lover so she was in cat heaven this weekend! She said she woke up to a cat staring at her right in her face! I don't think she got much sleep due to cats runnig all around during the night and one particular cat that just kept trying to persuade her to play. So, it was a fun weekend and I enjoyed getting to see family that we don't get to see very often. Family is important! Enjoy yours and love them while you can. Ok....on to the recipe. Hope you enjoy.

Baked Pork Chops with Apple dressing.......I love this in the fall!

Apple Dressing:
2 slices light whole wheat bread, torn into bite size pieces
1 medium apple, such as granny smith, gala, fuji or golden delicious, peeled and finely chopped.
1 medium rib of celery, finely chopped
4 medium green onions (green and white parts), thinly sliced
1/4 cup of low sodium chicken broth
Egg substitue equivalent to 1 egg or 1 large egg (real eggs have less sodium)
1 teaspoon dried sage
1/4 teaspoon pepper

***4 bonless pork loin chops (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded. Make sure your pork chops say minimally processed or they will be very high in sodium

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

In a medium bowl, stir together the dressing ingredients until the bread is moistened. Spoon half the dressing into an 8-inch square baking pan, smoothing the surface. Place the chops in a single layer on the dressing. spread the remaining dressing over the chops.

Bake, covered, for 30 minutes (pork will be slightly pink in center). Bake, uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the pork is no longer pink in the center and the dressing is golden brown.

Sometimes I double the amount of dressing just because we love dressing! I also use the Kroger low sodium wheat bread in my dish.

Hope you enjoy. Apples are especially delicious this fall!

No comments: