About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Monday, September 29, 2008

Medications for heart failure

When I was diagnosed in 2001 with heart failure, I went from taking 1 allergy pill per day to taking 7 pills each day. I fact, when I started my cardiac rehab program earlier this year, one nurse joked that with all my medications I didn't really need to eat breakfast! I've never been one that liked taking medications but with CHF, it's essential. Since there is no cure for heart failure, these medications help you to live a longer life with a better quaility of life also. It can be overwhelming at first. What I did was get myself a pill box that had slots for the entire week. At the end of one week, I would fill it up for the next week with morning, noon and evening pills so that I was sure not to forget to take them. For me, it was new so it would have been very easy for me to forget to take something! Now that I've been on them for 7 years, I am so used to it I don't set them out in my pill box anymore. At first, it really helped me to remember so it might be something you want to do when first getting started. Here are the medications I take and these are pretty standard for anyone with heart failure.

Coreg-I take the generic, but they now have Coreg CR that is time released throughout the day and is a once a day pill. I take 37.5 mg now twice a day, which is currently keeping my blood pressure very low! My doctor wants to get me to 50mg twice a day to try and improve my heart function but I do believe I'm at my limit for this drug. At times, my bp runs 88/48 so I have no room for anymore drops in my bp! Coreg is a beta blocker. It helps lower the heart rate and helps the heart pump stronger. Coreg is also used to treat high blood pressure. I remember my doctor when I was first diagnosed saying to me, "I wish you had high blood pressure so we could get you on a high enough dose to do some good." High blood pressure does run in my family, but not for me! Be sure to monitor yourself when on this medication. Take you bp often when first getting started so you know how it affects you. Tell your doctor if you get dizzy often or if you ever pass out while taking this. Make sure to only take this drug when you eat! I take mine at breakfast and at dinner. It's important you eat when you take this so it doesn't get into your system too quickly and cause a sudden unsafe drop in your b/p. My doctor may try me on Coreg CR to see if my system tolerates it better since it is time released.

Lasix-I take 40 mg per day. Lasix is a diuretic. It is used to treat execessive fluid accumulation and swelling of the body caused by heart failure. It's important to be monitored on this drug also as it can cause body water and electrolyte depletion. I've had to use potassium a few times with lasix but do not take without a doctors prescription and without being monitored!


Adlactone-One of the main functions of the kidneys is to retain salt (sodium chloride) and water. In patients with heart failure and cirrhosis, increased levels of a hormone produced by the adrenal glands, called aldosterone, causes salt and fluid retention by the kidneys. Spironolactone inhibits the action of aldosterone causing the kidneys to excrete salt and fluid while retaining potassium. Therefore, spironolactone is classified as a potassium-sparing medication that promotes the output of urine. I take 25 mg per day. Watch getting too much potassium while taking this. This is a potassium sparing drug so don't over do the potassium. Getting too much potassium is also dangerous!

Zestril-I take 2.5 mg twice a day of Zestril. This is an Ace Inhibitor. Angiotensin is a chemical that is made by the body continuously. It narrows blood vessels and thereby maintains (elevates) blood pressure. When the enzyme is blocked by Zestril, angiotensin cannot be converted into its active form. As a result, blood vessels dilate and blood pressure falls. This is another reason my blood pressure is very low!

These drugs are very common for those with CHF. I also take simvastatin for my cholesterol and am now once again on coumadin. Coumadin is important in preventing the formation of blood clots. It is also important to prevent extension of clots already formed, and to minimize the risk of blood clot embolization to other vital organs such as the lungs and brain. With Coumadin, make sure you are carefully monitored. Keep your diet regular and update your doctor on any new medications you are taking as all this can affect the level of coumadin in your system. Make sure to get all blood work on time when taking Coumadin. My first go round with Coumadin was not pleasent. I had complications and had to be taken off for a while but since starting it again this year, I had not had any problems. It's important to do as instructed with this drug!

Ok...that's an education on the types of medicines used to treat heart failure. If you take as directed, you can live a longer life without lots of trips to the hosital. These medications along with a sodium restricted diet are essential. Don't get discouraged! I can remember my doctor also saying to me, "If you're going to get heart failure, now is the best time to do so." Not that anyone wants it but now the treatments are much better and because of that, people are living longer, better lives. I'll be back tomorrow to post another recipe. I think it's about time for that! We've had enough education!

No comments: