About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

You're never too young to start!

You are never too young to start taking care of your heart. Did you know, kids only need higher amounts of fat the first year of their life and then they need to watch what they eat just like adults do? When I heard the news report yesterday about how our children are eating and how they are faring due to this, I cringed. Some 10 year olds already have the arteries of a 45 year old individual. This is all due to the poor eating habits we are teaching our kids and to the junk food we have so readily available to them. Please.....teach your kids to read labels, teach them to eat a heart healthy diet while they are young. It will stay with them for a lifetime. Of course you can have a "treat" from time to time. What would life be like without doing that? Our kids need to be taught how to eat healthy for their heart and it has to start at home. They were reporting how in California, they are banning the junk from school menu's, banning bake sales, etc. That's a start but kids don't just eat at school so parents really need to instill in their kids at a young age how to eat healthy. Remember,this is the first generation of kids that will NOT outlive their parents if they don't make a change..........Cook with your kids. It's an excellant way to get them interested in what they eat.

No comments: