About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Beat the Statistics!

1 in 3 women will die of heart disease. Do you know your risk factors? Do you know what your heart health will be in 10 years? Are you doing anything today to help prevent heart disease in your future? Are you taking control of what you can control? You can't do a thing about your family history but there is so much that you can do on your own to help prevent heart disease for yourself and for those you love. I've heard it said, knowledge is power. That's not quite true......there is no power in knowledge, there is only power in the actions that take place because of that knowledge. There is no power if you do nothing with that knowledge. Choose today to take action and control the factors you can to keep your heart healthy. You've only got one heart! You know, as women, we take care of everyone in our families and for the most part we put ourselves last and never give our heart one thought. We never think about what the lack of exercise is doing, we never think about what the food we eat is doing to our heart, we never think about getting our cholesterol checked and doing what needs to be done to keep it under control, we never think about what being overweight is doing to our heart. We make time for our kids activities and for other things, but we never make time for exercise and just a little "you" time. You know.....if we never think about those things and never act upon them, are we really taking care of our families? I mean....wouldn't you rather make sure you are "there" for them today or 10 years down the road? I know you just answered yes to that. Ok, then act upon your knowledge. If you are reading this you now know that 1 in 3 women will die of heart disease. You now know that heart disease is the number 1 killer of women. You also know what you need to do! Get a heart healthy checkup, know your blood pressure numbers, know your cholesterol numbers and take action if they are high, you know you should exercise at least 30 minutes a day, you know you should eat healthy and you know you need to know your family history and discuss this with your doctor. You know you need to know the warning signs of a heart attack. You know the day you need to start taking control........TODAY! My favorite slogan is "JUST DO IT" Don't be that 1 in 3 that will develop and die of heart disease. Love your heart and do it today! Take care of your family by being there for them.

No comments: