About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Monday, May 11, 2009

Another breakfast recipe!

Aww....pancakes. Who doesn't love them? Well, if you are on a sodium restricted diet you are painfully aware that commercial pancake mixes are very high in sodium. There is one mix out there that you might be able to find in the diabetic section of your grocery but the taste is not the same because there is no added sugar. So, here's a recipe that you will love and you will never miss the sodium. These are delicious. I mixed up some of these for myself when I attended a pancake breakfast at church because I knew I could not eat the "Bob Evans" brand pancakes due to the sodium in the mix. Thanks to Tami Lilly for making them for me! This mix made about 4 large pancakes. Enjoy!

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons sodium-free baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

In a mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Combine the egg, milk, and oil. Add all at once to the flour mixture. Stir until blended but still slightly lumpy. Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto hot greased griddle for each pancake. Cook until browned on bottom (when bubbles form and then break). Turn and cook on other side until done.

Tip: The griddle is hot enough when a drop of water dropped onto it sizzles and breaks up immediately.

so, have these if you are on a sodium restricted diet or if you just want to eat healthier!

p.s. They've been kid tested! Max had one of mine at the pancake breakfast and he said they were yummy! Couldn't tell they were minus the sodium!

No comments: