About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Friday, May 8, 2009

Sausage recipe!

For those of us living with heart failure and keeping to our sodium restricted diet, I'm sure you never thought you could have sausage again. That's one thing I missed until I came across this recipe. Give it a try, I think you'll like it and it's much healthier than processed sausage you buy in your grocery store. Much better for healthy people to eat too!

1 pound pork, ground
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
3/4 teaspoon dried sage
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

Combine all ingredients, mixing well. Fry, grill, or cook on a greased baking sheet in a 325 degree oven until done. makes 8 servings with about 24 mg of sodium per sodium! Lot's lower than the processed stuff you see in the grocery!

On thing I have missed is sausage gravy and biscuits. Sausage and biscuits are loaded in sodium and having both would more than likely put you over your daily allowance of sodium in one shot! Not anymore! You can make your own and they are much lower and much healthier for you.

Sausage Gravy

follow recipe for sausage above
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup skim milk
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Remove sausage with slotted spoon after cooking, set aside. Remove all but 2 tablespoons of grease from the skillet. Over medium heat, stir 3 tablespoons of flour into the grease. Stir constantly until browned, about 5 minutes. Stirring constantly, pour in milk. Season with pepper. Continue cooking until the gravy is thick. Add sausage back into the gravy. Serve over split biscuits, grits, or mashed potatoes. yields 4 servings with 77 mg sodium per serving.


Ok, now for the biscuit recipe.

2 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons sodium-free baking powder (if you can't find in your grocer, go to www.saltwatcher.com or www.healthyheartmarket.com, they both carry)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup skim milk

Stir together first 4 ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk. Stir until just mixed. Knead gently on floured surface a few times. Press to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut out with 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter. Transfer to ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450 or 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. 10 servings at 13 mg sodium each! A lot different than the 500-750 mg we see in biscuits!

Tomorrow, I'll post a recipe for buttermilk biscuits

No comments: