About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Yummy Lemon chicken recipe

Ok..here's the recipe. I loved it but it is NOT low carb! Low sodium but if you're watching your sugar and carbs you might just want to eat a half piece like I did!

4 boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6-ounce can frozen lemonade, thawed and undiluted
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/4 cup hunt's no salt added tomato sauce

I actually doubled the sauce but I don't think I needed to.

Remove all the skin and fat from the chicken. coat the chicken with flour and brown on all sides in the olive oil. Remove the chicken from the pan and stir in the lemonade concentrate, brown sugar, vinegar and tomato sauce and mix well. Transfer the chicken back into saute pan or you could also do this in crock pot. (I did stove top in a saute pan). For stovetop preparation, cook over low heat for 1 hour. If using a crock pot, cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours. I'd use a crock pot liner if you do in the crock pot because the sauce does get sticky. That way your clean up is easier. I hope you enjoy. I loved it!

Recipe from the No-Salt, Lowest Sodium Cookbook by Donald Gazzaniga.

No comments: