About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Barbecued Chicken Sandwiches

I love Barbecued chicken, pork or beef sandwiches but as you know all those commercial brands or sandwiches you get in restraurants are very high in sodium. Here's a delicious recipe from "500 Low Sodium Recipes" by Dick Logue. He's right....with this recipe, you won't even miss the expensive sandwiches at your favorite barbecue restaurant! Try it with onion rolls (recipe at bottem) and a scoop of coleslaw on it. Yummy!

2 cups smoked chicken, shredded (if you don't have a smoker, the meat can be cooked in a slow cooker until it's tender and then shredded, which is my method!)

For sauce:

8 ounces no salt added tomato sauce
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (no salt added)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayeene pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix together sauce ingredients. Combine with chicken or spoon over chicken on the roll as desired. Yields: 6 servings. Each serving will have 50 mg sodium.

Now for the onion roll recipe also from the same cookbook by Dick Logue, I highly recommend this cookbook!

1 cup skim milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons minced onion
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons, or 10g) yeast

For topping:

2 tablespoons (20 g) minced onion
6 tablespoons (90 ml) water, divided
1 egg white

Place ingredients in bread machine in order specified by manufacturer. Process on dough cycle. When done, remove and shape into 10 rolls, cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Combine 2 tablespoons minced onion with 1/4 cup water. Let stand 5 minutes. Beat egg white with remaining 2 tablespoons water. Brush rolls with egg mixture. Sprinkle with onion mixture. Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes. Yield: 10 servings

Each roll will have 30 mg sodium......much better than what you can buy in the grocery store! Enjoy!

No comments: