About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Monday, November 24, 2008

Eating low sodium on Thanksgiving!

Ok....for all those out there that need to follow a low sodium diet, you know that Thanksgiving can be difficult. Eating low sodium on Thanksgiving can be done.....but I think you pretty much have to do the cooking or let whomever is cooking know what to look for when cooking for you. I find that difficult, so I do the cooking! Here are some tips to eating low sodium on Thanksgiving.

First off, the turkey. You are really better off buying a fresh turkey if you can find one but beware, not all fresh turkey's are the same. You must see the words, "minimally processed" on the packaging. Free Range turkey's at times do have the salt solution injected into them making them very high in sodium. Also, a Turkey that says "all natural" can also have the salt solution added them them since salt is a natural perservative. So, be very careful when picking out your turkey. Make sure it does say minimally processed. If so, it should have around 65-70 mg sodium per 4 ounce serving. That is the natural sodium in the turkey. Don't brine your turkey....I hear so many people say you can't cook a juicy turkey if you don't brine it........that is hogwash!

ok....vegetables..........use fresh or frozed vegetables. Canned vegetables are very high in sodium unless you find the ones that say "no salt added." Watch though because I have seen frozen vegetables that have added sodium to them. Make sure and check you labels. If you use butter, use no salt added butter.

If you make a sweet potatoe casserole..........just leave the salt out of the recipe. It will never be missed!

Make your own mashed potatoes.....don't buy those packaged ones that you just pop in the microwave because they are loaded with sodium. Even the new frozen steam and mash potatoes are high in sodium. You are better off making your own and using no salt added butter. The milk has some sodium but they will be much lower and doable on a low sodium diet if you make your own.

dressing or stuffing can be tricky! Breads are loaded with sodium. If your grocery sells a low sodium bread, use that with low sodium chicken stock.

Gravy....again.....make your own but do not add salt. Use unsalted butter also and the turkey drippings from your low sodium turkey. I don't even miss the salt in my gravy. Store bought gravies are extremely high in sodium.

Ok....your desserts.....not much you can do about those but just remember, eat small portions and you should be ok. It's hard to find low sodium pies/cakes so just don't over do them. If you keep everything else in your meal relatively low sodium, you are fine to indulge in a dessert but just don't overdo!

rolls are also very high in sodium. I have found that Hawaian rolls ae pretty low in sodium. You just really have to shop around and look at labels. If anyone knows of a low sodium roll, let me know please because I'm still searching on this one!

Use low sodium chicken stock and no salt butter in things that need these ingredients.

Remember, when cooking low sodium..........your guests can always add salt to anything they need but you can't talk salt out! Enjoy the day and take time to be grateful for all your blessings. God is good!

No comments: