About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Heart Failure and cold weather!

Ok...I'm not enduring the cold weather very well at all. I have to say, winter is my least favorite time of the year. I hate the cold and I hate the snow. When it snows, my hubby has to go out and work and I don't see him for days. He's out cleaning parking lots, etc for clients at work so my drive doesn't get cleaned off! I am unable to shovel snow, so my drive remains snow covered for days. I always think every time it snows, "where are all the young strong boys that want to earn some money by shoveling snow?" They never show up at my door! When I was a kid, they would all be out knocking on doors, shoveling snow and earning some spending money. Maybe it's just that kids get too much handed to them today......I don't think they really need spending money any more! So....usually what happens at my house is, after a couple days with snow laying on my drive, my parents come over and shovel for me. Well, they shouldn't be doing it either! Ok...of the point a bit but it feels good to vent sometimes! For anyone with heart failure, you know how the cold and the extreme hot weather can affect your heart. This is just a reminder to take it easy out there in this cold weather. You heart has to work much harder in the cold so it's extremely hard on anyone with heart failure. Dress warm and make sure to cover your mouth with a scarf or something when out in the cold to keep the air you are breathing warm. I've noticed this year that I'm just not tolerating the cold very well already so I'm wishin for Spring.....an early spring! so....if you are a young healthy person reading this blog and know someone in your neighborhood with heart failure or any heart condition.....do them a favor and shovel their drive and their sidewalk when it snows.

Here are precautions and information from the American Heart Association.

Cold Weather and Cardiovascular Disease

AHA Recommendation
People who are outdoors in cold weather should avoid sudden exertion, like lifting a heavy shovel full of snow. Even walking through heavy, wet snow or snow drifts can strain a person's heart.

How does cold weather affect the heart?

Many people aren't conditioned to the physical stress of outdoor activities and don't know the dangers of being outdoors in cold weather. Winter sports enthusiasts who don't take certain precautions can suffer accidental hypothermia (hi"po-THER'me-ah).

Hypothermia means the body temperature has fallen below normal. It occurs when your body can't produce enough energy to keep the internal body temperature warm enough. It can kill you. Heart failure causes most deaths in hypothermia.

Symptoms include lack of coordination, mental confusion, slowed reactions, shivering and sleepiness.

Children, the elderly and those with heart disease are at special risk. As people age, their ability to maintain a normal internal body temperature often decreases. Because elderly people seem to be relatively insensitive to moderately cold conditions, they can suffer hypothermia without knowing they're in danger.

People with coronary heart disease often suffer chest pain or discomfort called angina pectoris (AN'jih-nah or an-JI'nah PEK'tor-is) when they're in cold weather. Some studies suggest that harsh winter weather may increase a person's risk of heart attack due to overexertion.

Besides cold temperatures, high winds, snow and rain also can steal body heat. Wind is especially dangerous, because it removes the layer of heated air from around your body. At 30 degrees Fahrenheit in a 20-mile-per-hour wind, the cooling effect is equal to calm air at four degrees. Similarly, dampness causes the body to lose heat faster than it would at the same temperature in drier conditions.

To keep warm, wear layers of clothing. This traps air between layers, forming a protective insulation. Also, wear a hat or head scarf. Much of your body's heat can be lost through your head. And ears are especially prone to frostbite. Keep your hands and feet warm, too, as they tend to lose heat rapidly.

Don't drink alcoholic beverages before going outdoors or when outside. Alcohol gives an initial feeling of warmth, because blood vessels in the skin expand. Heat is then drawn away from the body's vital organs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a wealth Bink! Love all this information!

Rich said...

sahuchrYes tahts me . I could not have said it better. hang in there