About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Monday, December 22, 2008

Make Memories!

Yesterday, December 21st, was my 47th birthday. yep....I'm not too proud to tell my age. You see, 7 1/2 years ago I didn't know if I would ever see another birthday. I was 39 years old when I was diagnosed with CHF and cardiomyopathy. You know, most women dread their 40th birthday. I have to say 40 was one of the sweetest birthdays I ever had. It was a true celebration of life as each and every birthday since that day has been. My diagnosis has truly taught me to appreciate everything in life, even the little things that happen along the way. We only get one shot at this life. That reminds me of a song but at the moment the name of it escapes me. That happens alot when your my age! Anyway, I just wanted to share what a great birthday I had this weekend. It really started on Saturday. Steve, Jocelyn and I went Christmas shopping then came home and relaxed a bit. That evening we went to dinner at Cracker Barrel with my parents. We were supposed to go to Hammel House in Waynesville for lunch but they were closed on Saturday! The nerve of them! That is my absolute favorite place to eat and Steve has promised I still get a lunch there in the very NEAR future! If you have never been there.....go shop and eat. You'll have a great time. The food is all homemade at the Hammel House and they have a great tomato soup that I have beggged for the recipe, but have not succeeded in getting! ok...back to my birthday. Anyway, yesterday was actually my birthday. We went to church and had a great service and the out to lunch at our usual spot....Culvers. After church, Jocelyn and I made cookies all afternoon. We had such a great time. Actually, Jocelyn made all the cookies. I just instructed her on what to do. She's a great cookie maker. We had so much fun giggling and making a big mess! Jocelyn had flour every where and on her face. Steve put up the Christmas tree while we baked and then I'm pretty sure I heard him snoring a few times! After that, we made plates of cookies to take to people for Christmas. Jocelyn went to her small group Bible study and we went to see friends that live close by. We had a great time sitting around their table with the fire place roaring. We sat and shared storied, admired their beautiful Christmas tree and ate popcorn and cookies. Steve and I both had a great time. Then, before leaving, Peggy gave us some goodies that she had collected while in Africa. They are in my curio cabinet now and I will treasure them. When we got home that evening, Jocelyn and I decorated the Christmas tree and we just relaxed the rest of the evening. It was a great birthday. The stuff memories are made of and I will cherish them! Life is good.....LIVE IT! Create memories that your family will remember forever. That's what it's all about! Merry Christmas!

No comments: