About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Monday, December 22, 2008

Watch the Sodium at Christmas gatherings!

Ok....once again it's that time of year for Christmas parties and gatherings. For those of us with heart failure, it's very hard to eat many of the items on a typical Christmas "menu". All those yummy cookies and treats that are tempting at Christmas can be very high in sodium so eat in moderation. The best thing to do before going to a Christmas party is to eat something before you leave so that you don't overdo at the party. Watch the dips that are out for veggie trays, etc because just a couple of tablespoons can be a source of high amounts of sodium. Do the veggies without the dip or be very careful about high much you put on your plate. Don't go back for seconds! If you also have to watch caffeine like I do, avoid the chocolate! Chocolate does have caffeine so be very careful. You don't want to throw your heart into a dangerous rhythm for a delicious taste of chocolate. I've actually learned to live without chocolate. At first I just thought my doctor was nuts when he told me I have to give up chocolate but I find now that I no longer crave it and if I do eat a nibble here and there, it doens't have the same taste. If you do eat a nibble of chocolate......eat dark chocolate. There's not as much caffeine in dark chocolate and it has many health benefits. But like everything else, moderation is the key! A small square of dark chocolate every day have great health benefits and is actually good for your heart! So, if you are attending Christmas and New Years parties, take along a low sodium dish so there is at least one dish you know you are safe in eating. Don't overdo.....Enjoy you time with friends and family and remember to take time to celebrate what this season is truly about. Christ came to live among us. He came to feel what we feel, to experience the heart aches we experience, to show us how to love one another but most of all..........he came to die so that we might live. Celebrate his wonderful birth. It's the best gift we will ever receive. Merry Christmas!

No comments: