About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Stem cells growing new heart muscle

ok...this is very exciting, especially for those of us living with heart failure and with very poor heart function. In Utah, they have finally opened up the study for those with dilated cardiomyopathy caused by unknown reasons. The study in the past has only been done on people with heart failure caused by a heart attack. In this study, they use stem cells taken from a patients own body so there is nothing controversial about this procedure. Adult stem cells have shown much more promise than embryonic.....in fact, embryonic has shown zero promise but politicians still want to make this an issue and still want to sink money into research, even though it has done nothing in the past. That's what worries me with Obama.....that's one of the first things he wants to change when he is in office. He wants to sink more money into embryonic stem cell research, even though it hasn't shown any promise. Ok...off my rant. with adult stem cells, there is no chance of rejection because the cells come from the patients own body. With embryonic stem cells, a patient would be on anti-rejection drugs the rest of their life. Embryonic stem cells are also programed to grow, grow, grow so all they have done in studes is grow tumors. There have been absolutely no break thrus using embryonic stem cells and many break thrus with adult stem cells and cord blood. My fear is that money would be taken from what does work to fund something that has shown literally no promise. In doing this, approval would take longer for what is working due to a decrease in funding and I believe lives lost in the process. People really need to get educated on this topic. Also, I believe that when we honor God's creation in our research, he will honor us with results and it is happening! Stem cells (adult) from a patients own body have shown great promise in treating many diseases. It actually will grown new heart muscle in people with heart failure and help their heart function better. They are doing the research in Utah right now on people with my exact heart condition. I'm going to have to check with my own doctor to see if this study has opened up in the Cincinnati area. I was told years ago as soon as it opened up for people like me, they would put me in it. If so, I want on the list! The stem cells (adult) are injected thru a heart catheter into the heart thru a minimally invasive procedure. I was so excited to see this article in the paper to see it has finally opened up for people like me! Anyone out there reading this that has dilated heart failure that you have from unknown causes......check into this! You have to be your own advocate so do not be afraid to ask questions and insist on things! This treatment could cease the need in the future for heart transplants and is very exciting!

No comments: