About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Recipe/Chicken Enchiladas

I know it has been quite some time since I posted a low sodium recipe.....sorry for that! Just a little update on me and how I am doing. So far, so good. I feel fine and I am able to do everything I need to do in a day without getting worn out. That means so much! I'm being watched closely in order to catch any changes in my heart function so we can be very proactive. Right now, I am to go see the doctor from OSU in March and he will check to see if the increase in my medications have helped boost my heart function. I sure would appreciate prayer for this.....I believe it changes things! In March, I'm sure he will order an echo and if there is improvement I will just keep doing what I'm doing. If not, they will refer me to the study for the heart net. I have mixed emotions about this. On one hand, it's exciting to think I could be involved in something that could help others in the future and even possibly help my own heart function. On the other....it's surgery and who ever just wants to have surgery? For now, I'm not going to worry about that. We will wait and see what my echo says and take it from there.

Oh...I have to tell you what my husband did this morning. We had a light dusting of snow. Just enough to make the roads slick and cover the ground and cars with snow. He drew a heart in the snow on my wind shield and wrote I love you.....He's so romantic! His love really keeps me going...and Jocelyn's of course! There is nothing like the healing power of love!


Ok....now for the recipe.

Ingredients:
Vegetable oil spray

Sauce:

1 cup fat-free milk
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth (many groceries now carry this with as little as 70mg per cup)
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup reduced-fat monterey jack cheese
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice

8 6-inch corn tortillas. (you just have to check the sodium on the package. There are some out there that are very low sodium and some are very high so be sure and look at the labels)

2 cups cubed cooked skinless chicken breasts, cooked without salt (fresh purdue brand does not add salt solution to their chicken and if you can find Amish chicken breasts, they also do not add salt solution. It needs to say minimally processed. Be sure and check)
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder (look for no salt added chili powder)
1/2 cup reduced-fat Monterey jack cheese
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped mild green chiles, rinsed and drained

Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly spray a 13x9x2 inch baking dish with the vegetable oil spray. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, whisk together the milk, broth, flour, and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the mixture thickens slightly, whisking occasionally.

Whisk in the 1/2 cup cheese and lime juice. Remove from heat and set aside.

To soften the tortillas, wrap in aluminum foil and warm in the oven for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the chicken, green onions, garlic, cumin and chili powder.

To assemble, place the tortillas on a flat surface. Spread 1/4 cup chicken mixture and 1 tablespoons Monterey Jack in the center of each. Roll up jelly-roll style and place with the seam side down in the baking dish. Pour the sauce over the enchiladas. Sprinkle with the chiles.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the filling is warmed through. Enjoy!

No comments: