About Me

My photo
At age 39, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I was given days to live with a heart function of 5% at that time. I was also told I needed a heart transplant to survive. I am now a 13 year survivor and have not had a heart transplant. I am married to my best friend, Steve and have one daughter, age 19. I'm sharing my journey to help others and because it "Matters to my Heart."

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snowy day! Be careful if you have heart disease!

I'm looking at about 3, maybe 4 inches of fresh snow on my yard this morning and on my drive way! It is still coming down and we are supposed to have stuff all day, possibly mixed with freezing rain and sleet. Oh Joy! Those of you that know me know that I truly believe snow is a BAD 4 letter word that should never be used or seen! Now, Jocelyn on the other hand loves it and was probably praying for a snow day from school today. Well, she got her wish! I'll have a talk with her later! I didn't always hate snow.....I'm sure when I was her age, I prayed for it too! Now that I have heart disease, however, snow is just something I never want to see! First off, I'm not allowed to shovel snow so my drive will be a mess until probably Thursday or Friday since my husband is out working in this stuff. He works for a landscaping business and in the winter, they do snow removal for several businesses. Oh great, I'm listening to the news and they say we are in for 3 rounds of nasty stuff. I thought 2, but now I hear 3 so I will not see my hubby for quite some time. You would think having a husband that works for a landscape business my drive would be so clean during this stuff, you would be WRONG! He leaves before it hits because he has an hour drive to work. So, he slept at the shop last night and I pretty much didn't sleep because I just can not sleep when he's not here. He won't be here tonight either. I worry about how he has to put in 2 days or more of work without rest in between plus, I can not shovel my walk or drive due to my heart condition. So....there, I'm done venting for the day! So, the moral of this story is, those of you with heart conditions that woke up to snow this morning.......DO NOT TOUCH your drive! It is very dangerous on your heart. Those of you that are healthy and know someone that lives close to you with heart disease, do them a favor and shovel their walk and drive way. It is so important that anyone with heart disease do not get out and shovel snow. I'm praying for some kid that wants to make money to come by and shovel the first round of snow off my drive but that just doesn't seem to happen in our society today. Kids wanting to make money is like an oxymoron! Ok, take it easy out there! Please, Please, Please, if you have heart disease, especially cardiomyopathy or CHF......leave the mess and just stay inside today!

No comments: